DAU Training / Guidance for Public Release of DoD Information
When sharing DoD information on a public website, it is important to follow certain guidelines to ensure operational security and safeguard protected information. All content shared on any portion of DAU.mil must be reviewed with these guidelines in mind. Therefore, content creators and anyone with the authority to approve content must be aware of these policies.
In our efforts to assist the Defense Acquisition Workforce, we must ensure that any information we release cannot be combined or aggregated in such a manner that is damaging to National security. Additionally, no posts should contain information that concerns a subject of potential controversy among the DoD Components or with other Federal agencies or that contains technical data that may be militarily critical and subject to limited distribution. Read the information below to ensure you are aware of the guidance related to public release.
Questions related to public release of information, security reviews or DAU release authority should be directed to the DAU Communications and Public Affairs Office email@example.com.
DoD instruction 8550.01 relates to DoD internet services and internet-based capabilities and provides guidance to avoid copyright infringement and ensure the following types of information are
not released to the public.
- Classified or For Official Use Only (FOUO) content
- Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
- Information that can be used on its own or with other information to identify, contact, or locate a single person, or to identify an individual in context.
- Anything that can help adversaries
- Sensitive or classified information
- Unclassified information that when aggregated reveal sensitive or classified information
Guidance and information related to Copyright can be found in
DAU Directive 720 and on the
Copyright Training page.
DAU Directive 730 Security and Policy Review of Department of Defense Information Prior to Public Release details when a higher-level review of information is required before it is released to the public. It is based on DoD Instruction 5230.29
Security and Policy Review of DoD Information for Public Release (http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/523029p.pdf). This states that content must be submitted for review and clearance if the information:
- Originates or is proposed for release in the National Capital Region by senior personnel (e.g., general or flag officers and Senior Executive Service) on sensitive political or military topics
- Is or has the potential to become an item of national or international interest
- Affects national security policy, foreign relations, or ongoing negotiations
- Concerns a subject of potential controversy among the DoD Components or with other federal agencies;
- Is presented by a DoD employee who, by virtue of rank, position, or expertise, would be considered an official DoD spokesperson, or
- Contains technical data, including data developed under contract or independently developed and subject to potential control, that may be militarily critical and subject to limited distribution.
There are exceptions to the review requirement based on restricted access to the website. If only authenticated users are able to access the information, then the security and policy review requirements do not apply.