Click on the image to open customer command site in another tab.
Photograph of a photograph in possession of Rock Island Arsenal Historical Office. South and west elevations in unaltered condition. Dated APRIL 18, 1941. - Rock Island Arsenal, Building No. 56, North Avenue & East Avenue, Rock Island, Rock Island County, IL. Also known as Storehouse K. (Source: Library of Congress Historic American Buildings Survey, Engineering Record, Landscapes Survey)
After taking command of Rock Island Arsenal in 1865, General Thomas Jefferson Rodman devised a master plan for the installation calling for the construction of ten, stone Greek Revival manufacturing shops, five on each side of the island's major east-west thoroughfare. To the rear of each shop, there was to be a massive stone storehouse of the same architectural style. Only two of these stone storehouses were constructed, and Storehouse K is the sole survivor. With its companion facilities completed under the Rodman plan, Storehouse K forms a cohesive architectural statement, which, in terms of both scale and style, has no counterpart among government installations in the Midwest. In addition to their architectural importance, the Rodman shop buildings are the administrative and technological core of Rock Island Arsenal, one of only two "old-line," nineteenth-century arsenals still in operation for munitions production. The buildings are vital for understanding the history of American ordnance development and manufacture from the Spanish American War to the present. Storehouse K is part of the Rock Island National Register Historic District.
DAU Midwest Rock Island branch campus is located on the second floor.
Return to DAU Rock Island.